Saturday, June 11, 2016

In Dog We Trust

Yesterday, 10 June, marks the passing of another whole year since I last saw my dog.

She entered our world (like all of our pets!) in a unique way. My sister met someone with a litter of 1/2 purebred Border Collie-1/4 beagle-1/4 bulldog puppies. She quickly attached herself to me, and clung hilariously to my side until the day she passed.

She died of a hemangiosarcoma, a type of cancer "common" in her dogs her size, they said. She was the nanny. She herded my kids and kept them away from the street (patrolling her border!) and knew where they were all the time. Sometimes she hid from them.

The family always laughs about how she would "talk" to us. "Ruh ruh ruh, ruh ruh ruh, ::lick::" before flopping to the floor. She'd tap on a door with her paw if she wanted in! And casually pushed you out of her way if you were in her Spot. She used to lay on my bed with her head on a pillow, and her body under the covers!

I tell people the story of my dog and the Stranger all the time. See, she just loved everyone; but ONE time, just ONE time, she growled. She growled at a well-dressed gentleman in the parking lot of a store on Christmas Eve. (We've all heard the advice to be aware of your surroundings at stores that time of year.) I had never heard her growl, but growl she did -- and showed her teeth until that man had disappeared. Always trust a dog's intuition!

A good friend of ours works with Pets for Vets (Www.petsforvets.com) and we proudly supporter pet therapy programs. My dog gave me some of the best joys. I'm just sad that my children won't get to spend more time with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment