Wednesday, April 14, 2021

"Why I..." Wednesday, Interview 1: Why I Run



 

"My name is Thomas Comer. I am 59 years old, retired from the Department of Justice.  I have battled moods, depression and insomnia for most of my adult life.  Over the years, running has been the best weapon against these demons.  I actually started taking running seriously in 2009, at the age of 48 and though I started to do it for fitness reasons, I soon found out that the major benefit was to my mental health.  


I run every day, I am a run-streaker and I love it. Running is an escape for so many, probably a cliché but it’s true.  When I am running, I am in my own world and for this reason, I seldom run with others. I prefer it to be my solitary time. No matter how low my mood is, no matter how dark, the run always helps.  ALWAYS.  It doesn’t solve the issue, it’s not a magic elixir, but it always makes me feel better. 


Even when I am nursing an injury, and forced to do short runs, they help.  When the time comes that I can no longer run, I will walk.  Each and every day, I get out there……no matter what is in my head, my feet are hitting the ground.  Making it a part of each and every day, helps insure I don’t give in easily to darkness and anger or whatever is bothering me. No matter what, I GO.  It works.  




As a runner I have done 21 Half Marathons and 4 full marathons, including the thrill of my running life, the 2018 NYC Marathon.  Goals like races have really helped me raise my self esteem and defeat dark moods.  My only goal is to finish, I don’t get caught up records and speed, to me that would be a distraction. 


I lived for three years in NYC (Bay Ridge Brooklyn, 2017-2020) and loved it.  My running started in Arizona, then continued in Colorado (where my streak started) and last year we moved out here to the Bay Area.  Moving can be stressful and running is a companion that makes it easier. 




During COVID, my daily runs became even more vital.  I endured wearing a mask while I ran, but just getting outside and getting a quick run in gave me a sense of normalcy in a time when depression battles were raging hard.  I seriously don’t know how I would have coped without my daily runs.  


In closing, let me say, that if someone is battling mental health issues like depression, find something that gets your heart rate up.  If you don’t enjoy running, find something you DO enjoy.  I’m not a doctor or anything, but I can promise you the benefits are substantial."


You can follow Tom's journey on Instagram @topcatrunner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment