Saturday, September 2, 2017

Inconceivable!

Two things happened today.

This:

....and then, this:

I ran 100m at a 5:30 minute mile pace. Let me repeat that for those in the back. I RAN A 5:30 MINUTE MILE PACE! Okay, okay, it was for 100m BUT IT WAS A 5:30 MINUTE MILE PACE. 

Before we go on, let me tell you about my friend Derek. Derek is a Serious Runner. Derek recently shared with his audience that he had run a 5:40 minute mile the other day. Derek is the epitome of a long distance runner, and even Derek was even surprised that Derek completed a 5:40 minute mile. Again, Derek is the epitome of a runner. Long, lean, young guy....yeah, I'd totally hate him if he wasn't one of the nicest people on the planet. But I digress. I was super proud of my friend Derek when he accomplished this feat. After all, he's a Serious Runner, a Real Runner, a professional pacer and running coach. Good for him! 

So, when my exhausted, Non-Serious, Non-Runner, short-legged body reached the finish line of the 100m at the track this afternoon, I looked down expecting/hoping to see a pace somewhere around 8:00 minute mile. After all, I had RUN. Like, two deeps breaths for the entire duration, "OMG WHAT AM I DOING? WHO DOES THIS FOR FUN???" Running. Full sprint. The first time, 6:26, I was shocked. The second time...well, let's just say Derek got a couple of awfully excited text photos after that. 

This. Totally. Happened.

I guess the point of my ramble (aside from disbelief) is that if I can run like that, even for 100m, anything is possible. 

Maybe even 200m at the same pace. 😱

(Be sure to check out Derek's blog over at mypaceracing.com for Real Advice from a Serious Runner.  You won't regret it.)


No comments:

Post a Comment